I have some yummy recipes in store for you from this week. But fist, a recap of my weekly workouts.
I took an unscheduled rest day. I know what you’re thinking. Didn’t I just write a post this week about how to get over excuses for skipping a workout? Why yes I did. However, Monday was a little different. My body just felt tired, it was telling me that I needed a rest. And sometimes you just have to listen to your body despite your planned workout schedule.
I completed a 30 minute tempo run including my “magic mile“.
I did a 3 mile (5km) run using the Run-Walk-Run method for the first time.
I took another rest day. This day was scheduled and I decided to keep the rest day since the next day is my long run day.
I completed my long run. 5 miles (8km).
Yes, I was a total dork who wore two watches! While my Garmin has a heart rate monitor, it doesn’t track calories burned. It only tells you your heart rate while you’re running. I also enjoy being able to look at my time/pace at the same time as my heart rate, without having to fiddle with buttons.
I completed another day of The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I only have 2 days left on stage 2 and then I will be able to post my next recap.
Another day of hot yoga. I love ending my week this way. I feel so relaxed and calm during yoga and I feel completely reenergized for the next week when I leave.
Now enough blabbering about my workouts. On to what you really care about…
I got the basis of this recipe from Peanut Butter Fingers blog but I made my own adjustments.
Homemade Turkey Meatballs (see recipe below)
1/2 Whole Wheat French Baguette, sliced into 1 inch thick slices
1 Jar Marinara Sauce
1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
2 Tbsp Plain Greek Yogurt
2 Cup Shredded Light Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp Basil
1/2 Tsp Oregano
1/2 Tsp Parsley
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line 9 inch baking sheet with sliced baguettes. Combine olive oil & garlic powder. Lightly brush baguettes with olive oil mixture.
3. Mix cottage cheese, greek yogurt, parsley, oregano & basil. Pour mixture on top of baguettes & top with 1/2 shredded cheese. Bake 6-7 minutes.
4. Remove casserole from oven. Mix marinara sauce with homemade cooked meatballs and pour on top of bread.
5. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese
6. Bake casserole for approximately 5-7 minutes (or until sauce is hot). Broil for 2 minutes.
Homemade Turkey Meatballs:
1 Package Lean Ground Turkey
1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Basil
1 Tsp Onion Powder (I didn’t have an onion in the house, you could replace with sautéed onions)
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
Mix ingredients together in bowl. Use hands to form meatballs, approx 1 inch wide. On medium heat, cook meatballs in sprayed or non-stick frying pan until cooked through.
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 Can Chickpeas
1 Can Black Beans
1/2 Cup Barley
1 Zucchini sliced and cut into quarters
1 Bell pepper, sliced
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
2 Cups Butternut Squash, cubed
1 12 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1L Chicken Broth
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1.5 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Basil
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic & onions, cook few minutes then add ground turkey. Cook turkey through (no longer pink)
2. Add rest of ingredients to pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat & allow to simmer. Simmer 30-45 minutes, until barley and butternut squash is tender and sauce has thickened.
3. Enjoy! If desired, top with shredded cheddar cheese & plain greek yogurt.
Hope you enjoy some of these tasty and lower calorie recipes!
How did your workouts go this week? Do you have any tasty turkey recipes?